Sunday, July 30, 2023

My trip to State Theater 🎭!

 Good morning/afternoon/evening, you beautiful people!

On the 26th of April 2023, I had the absolute honour of being invited by my college to visit The South African State Theatre.  


I have wanted to visit the State Theatre for over a year now and it felt like a dream come true. I have always loved the arts and it was an absolute honour to be able to watch Dr John Kani's drama, " Kunene and The King". I am such a huge fan of Dr Kani and I was in awe of the creative genius that stood and performed before me. I was lucky enough to have a front seat view, I saw the performance up close and it was incredible to witness.

The drama follows the journey of a black South African man and a white South African man who have both lived through the destructive era, known as 'Apartheid', meaning separation. This was basically a very racist era in my country, where people of colour in particular black people were separated from white people and forced to only live in certain within certain areas in their own mother land. This drama was quite thought-provoking and eye-opening because both races, namely black and white tend to have a very different view on what Apartheid was and how it still affects us today, 25+years later. Mr Kunene plays a sister (yes, male nurse are also called sisters, it's a profession not a gender based name) 

I thoroughly enjoyed the performance  and I was completely sucked into this world onstage. I truly love the arts and my admiration has grown immensely from seeing the stage productions and just how many people it takes to pull off a show. It was also really interesting to see the set being changed around, right in front of our eyes and how they made those scenes interesting by having a singer come on set and play an instrument as the set was changed for the next scene. 


It took me so long to finally post this blog update, more than two months to be exact and I can't exactly tell you why I waited so long because it thinking about what about amazing time I had at the theater, I cannot wait until my next visit!


P.S Instagram saw it first! So follow me there!
instagram.com/ruthyzikhali

All my love ❤️

Ruthy 

No comments:

Let's Talk: Youth Day🇿🇦 + Father's Day: A dual celebration?

Good morning/afternoon/ evening, you beautiful people!  It is a chilly winter evening as I write to you all on June 16th. Today is a dual ho...