Sunday, January 14, 2024

Let's Talk: NSFAS + My final year of college

Good morning/afternoon/evening, you beautiful people! 

We are officially in the middle of the month and I am so ready to start the academic year!

I received my results on Friday and saying that I am relieved is an understatement! I have touched on this in several posts but I was so concerned and worried about maintaining being an excellent student. Maintaining a good thing is a lot harder than attaining it and being aware of this concept was rather overwhelming for me because I want to maintain the good things in my life. I am so grateful to God, to Jesus for carrying me through 2023! It was such a rough year but He saw me through me and gave me 6 distinctions (again!๐Ÿ™Š๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™ˆ♥️๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ). I also thanked my mom and will be spending the rest of the week, thanking my teachers. So, don't forget to thank those who have been there for you along the way, they deserve their flowers too๐Ÿ’! 

Speaking of the 2024 academic year: NSFAS owes us , about 20 000 of us, myself included and I pray that they give the amount that they owe us on Monday, the 15th, as it was said that by then things should be sorted out. With college opening on Thursday, the 18th, time is of the essence. Honestly the looting of funds is insane, how do you need billions to fund 1 million students! How they steal money so shamelessly is beyond me! 

I am currently 21-years-old and I will 22 in June and I have registered to vote but our current ruling party is embarrassing and hurting me. Importantly they are robbing us of a start that we so desperately need. Those of us who are on NSFAS are not on the bursary program for the fun of it. We need the bursary and most of us help out at home. The government's incompetence has such a ripple effect on so many of us. Due to this bursary, we can pay school fees, take care of ourselves and our loved ones, whilst looking at what we can do to better our lives. It gives us a chance to focus on our education, while relieving the stress of the bills that come like clockwork. But with the organization's incompetence the covering that NSFAS is supposed to give is not being given. What good is thousands of Rands, when a family has struggled for months on end?!  Yes, the lump sum is highly appreciated but long overdue! 

Students are getting tired and WILL look for alternatives, NSFAS' days as an organization are numbered because they lack two things: integrity and consistency. We deserve better!

On a lighter note I am so excited for my final year in college! Finally being able to say that makes me feel so much pride. I remember applying online in 2021, like it was yesterday. I never thought that college was an option for me but it has proved to be such a beautiful second chance at life! Don't look down on what you have, even if you wish to attain better. 

 I am praying that NSFAS gives us what we are due. I will report back next week! This topic needs to be thoroughly discussed and unpacked because at this rate, is a bursary actually helping the students or is it an excuse for greedy leaders to loot? Or it is an unfortunate mixture of both? 

What are your thoughts?

All my love♥️
Ruthy

No comments:

Let's Talk: Youth Day๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ + Father's Day: A dual celebration?

Good morning/afternoon/ evening, you beautiful people!  It is a chilly winter evening as I write to you all on June 16th. Today is a dual ho...