Sunday, May 5, 2024

Choosing college over completing high school

Good morning/afternoon/evening, you beautiful people! 

Choosing the National Certificate Vocational program over going back to high school was not an easy choice to make. I do not think that there is anything that I can say that can make this decision completely pain free and seemless. I believe that for most people, the dream of completing high school conventionally is very important to achieve. 

The blazer, tie, special jacket or jersey given to senior students in their last year of school is something that most look forward to. Yet, here you are, heavily considering smashing these dreams. Or you have had these dreams crushed and now you look at college as a potential alternative.

I am a level 4 marketing student at Tshwane North College and I absolutely love what I do! Truly, it excites me and I cannot wait to work within my field and apply my knowledge and gain so much more!

It was not always this way though and at times, when I am tired, stressed and overwhelmed, I remind myself of 19-year-old Ruthy who deserves to see me graduate. The me who deserves to get through this because at the end of day, this is all she dreamed about. 

I want you to know that your sadness is so valid. It is more than okay to be disappointed and sad. This is normal in fact, please know this. It is a tough decision to make because once made you cannot go back. It is the opening of a door whilst closing another and closing a chapter in life sometimes hurts. 

I want you to think about yourself in 5 years time. How will you feel if you make this decision? Where would you be if you make this decision? For me, I knew that I would thank myself. I knew that I was scared and that I was hurting but when faced with attempting to redo the high school route or trying college, college felt right. I also want to emphasise the fact that I chose a course that I truly liked and had an interest in and that interest grew into passion and love. Please do not just choose a course that you hate in order to please your parents or to get a quick buck. Money matters, let no one lie to you but try to pick what you genuinely have an interest in, not what will satisfy others. 

I knew that financially it was tight and the NSFAS program was very appealing but also scary as I would have to work very hard to maintain it because I knew that I would need it throughout all three years of my NCV program, in addition to university. It almost felt like a risk but then I realized that life comes with no guarantee.

There was and still is so much stigma when it comes to college, especially with the NCV program. Mainly because it is equivalent to a level 4/ grade 12 and honestly I have mixed feelings about this. As we do learn the basics with this program but the knowledge and experience that we gain is far superior than someone who is fresh out of high school. 

I am all for college because it has worked for me and I want you to choose what will work for you too, whatever that maybe but as you look for potential alternatives, don't be quick to discard college education, no matter your age. 

All my love
Ruthy ❤️

No comments:

Let's Talk: Youth Day🇿🇦 + Father's Day: A dual celebration?

Good morning/afternoon/ evening, you beautiful people!  It is a chilly winter evening as I write to you all on June 16th. Today is a dual ho...