Sunday, June 16, 2024

Let's Talk: Youth Day๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ + Father's Day: A dual celebration?


Good morning/afternoon/
evening, you beautiful people! 

It is a chilly winter evening as I write to you all on June 16th. Today is a dual holiday as, it is Youth Day and Father's Day. 
I absolutely adore Youth Day, as it reminds me that the freedom that I enjoy as a black youth was fought for. It gives me courage in moments when I lack it. It reminds me that I am my ancestors' wildest dreams and I need to keep going. I take my daily life in with more awe and respect because people, my people died for me to be able to do what I do with such ease. I absolutely am grateful for Youth Day and the ripple effect that it has had in South Africa. Their sacrifices were not in vein. The sung and unsung heroes of my rainbow nation have helped me to become the woman that I am. I am forever grateful to them. Because of them I am able to enjoy my homeland. ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ™

On the other hand, it is Father's Day. A day that I have come to dislike greatly. It reminds me of what I do not have and it has always been such a bitter holiday. I come back to this post. 

I honestly can't lie and say that it gets better because I am honestly not there yet. What I do know is the importance of honesty. It important not to look at your relationship with your father through rose coloured glasses. If it's not good for health to be a relationship with them, then don't entertain the idea because of pressure. If all you have with him is a surface level relationship with him, then that's okay too. Do what is best for you, remembering that a relationship is a two-way street. Based on mutual love, trust and respect. Noting that respect is earned, trust can be broken and love is so much more than a feeling. 

Honour yourself and your father to the best of your ability! If you have a healthy relationship with your father. You are one of the lucky ones, go give your ol' man a hug! 

In future, be extremely picky who you decide to procreate with should you decide to become a parent, remembering that it is a choice. Become the kind of father that you needed, choose the kind of man who help you break the cycle of broken girls and boys. 

Remembering that many fathers who create daddy issues have daddy issues. Let's all work on ourselves and learn from our broken fathers, instead of just moping about their inexcusable behaviour. 

It's also my birthday, this upcoming Tuesday and I am so excited and extremely blessed to be turning 22๐Ÿ’ž! 

Question of the week: What do Youth Day and Father's Day mean to you?

All my love❤️
Ruthy 

No comments:

Let's Talk: Youth Day๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ + Father's Day: A dual celebration?

Good morning/afternoon/ evening, you beautiful people!  It is a chilly winter evening as I write to you all on June 16th. Today is a dual ho...